Real estate disputes can delay land development projects, imperil finances and entail costly remedial measures.
Our real estate litigation team will help you resolve your dispute. They have excellent working relationships with other counsel and will diligently represent your interests so you can move forward from your problem.
Real Estate Disputes
How We Can Help
Real estate disputes often involve areas such as municipal law, contracts, corporate finance, business law and environmental law.
Harper Grey lawyers resolve these matters by skillfully articulating the legal issues at hand, assessing options and providing a recommended course of negotiation. The combination of players and issues in a dispute will often determine the length of time and strategic approach necessary.
Real Estate Dispute Resolution - Service Areas
- Restrictive covenants
- Land survey disputes
- Zoning issues
- Municipal issues including parking, bylaws, permits and building restrictions
- Regulatory issues including environmental concerns
- Finance disputes including mortgages and lending agreements
- Criminal activities such as fraud and vandalism
- Breach of contract
- Lease disputes
- Negotiation with foreign purchasers
- Drafting, filing and dealing with certificates pending at Land Titles Offices
- Property tax disputes
Typical situations where real estate disputes arise:
- A mixed-use development is planned for construction on property owned by a municipality. The project is approved, but financing goes awry when one of the lenders wants to back out. Delays are caused, putting the plan in jeopardy.
- An elderly home owner receives an offer by a foreign owner to sell her house privately. She wants to accept the offer on the condition that she can rent the house from the new owner while she searches for a place to live. Some parts of the offer seem strange to her and she begins to suspect that it may be part of a money laundering scheme.
- An investment syndicate buys a commercial building that is fully leased. Shortly after the deal is signed, multiple problems arise with the lesees - payment defaults, property damage, complaints of plumbing issues. The syndicate is convinced that information was hidden from them during the transaction.
Recent Success in Real Estate Dispute Resolution
- Acting for a land owner in a dispute with a municipality over zoning and and-use
- Acting for residential property owners in dispute with municipalities over permits and regulations
- Acting for the owners of a gas station in a negotiated settlement of a land remediation dispute
- Representing commercial tenants in dispute with landlords over breach of contract
- Representing commercial landlords in disputes with tenants over breach of contract and failure to remit payment
- Acting for real estate owners in disputes over adjoining property
Legal Update Instruction and Authorship
Residential Real Estate Conference
Selling common property in stratas