Directors and officers of private and public companies and non-profit organizations have serious responsibilities. Federal and provincial governments impose personal liability on directors if they fail to meet those responsibilities.
As the business environment continues to change, the list of potential liabilities directors and officers face continues to grow.
Whether in the private, public or not-for-profit sectors, directors and officers can be held personally liable for the failure of their organizations to comply with statutes, to exercise due diligence and even for financial results.
These matters can be expensive to defend. They can take a long time to resolve, and they can involve significant risks to corporations and individuals.
Our lawyers can help directors or their corporations determine risk, negotiate the resolution of any claims and, if necessary, represent them in trial.
We will work with you to protect your reputation.
- Assessing personal liability.
- Assessing liability of individual executives and corporate exposure.
- Dealing with corporate conflict of interest issues.
- Helping to create "whistleblower" policies.
- Dealing with failure to comply with the Business Corporations Act, Income Tax Act, Excise Tax Act and other legislation, including unpaid GST, payroll deductions, claims under environmental legislation, CPP source remittances, failure to remit employment insurance and unpaid wages under the Employment Standards Act.
- Representing clients accused of failing to comply with statutes or industry-specific obligations.
- Representing clients accused of failing to properly report or maintain records.
19 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2018
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 15 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2017
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2018
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada®, 2017
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
News & Knowledge