As mediators we are people and outcome focused and unflinchingly impartial.
Conflict is a natural byproduct of human interaction. There are numerous sources of conflict and the types of conflict are many and varied. But not all conflicts need to be resolved through litigation. Mediation and arbitration offers a cost-effective and expeditious alternative to resolving disputes.
Harper Grey is well known for its depth of expertise in the arena of litigation.
Our background experience and collective understanding of the nuances of litigation gives us the foundation to appreciate the importance of the mediation process in resolving disputes.
We understand more than others the risks and benefits of proceeding to trial. It is precisely our involvement in litigation that motivates us to focus on other methods of dispute resolution.
The many benefits of resolving conflicts outside the courtroom include that it:
- offers a cost effective alternative;
- is less time consuming and stressful;
- protects privacy and confidentiality;
- is a more flexible process;
- minimizes acrimony and can help maintain relationships; and
- offers the parties control of the process.
Mediation is one point in the spectrum of alternate dispute resolution. It is the process whereby a neutral third party (the mediator) assists two or more parties explore and find common-ground solutions to issues in dispute between them.
In the role of mediator, we actively listen, find common ground and shared interests, and help facilitate a supportable and lasting agreement.
Our mediation team draws on the unique insights, perspectives and skills they have cultivated practicing in the areas of professional negligence, professional regulatory work including workplace disputes, administrative law, insurance, major property loss subrogation, personal injury, commercial litigation, property disputes, construction and family law.
Another point in the dispute resolution spectrum is arbitration. Arbitration enables a more efficient and final resolution than going to trial in the court system.
An arbitrator has decision making authority which binds the parties. Similar to a trial, parties present their evidence and legal arguments to the arbitrator who then renders a binding decision. Unlike a trial, significant confidentiality attaches to arbitration proceedings – hearings and the record are not made available to the public. Shielding parties from some of the rigours of a trial is particularly important to parties with an ongoing relationship or sensitive commercial or other information.
Another advantage to arbitration is the ability to select an arbitrator who is well versed in the subject matter and applicable law.
Michael Hewitt is a litigator and arbitrator who brings over 25 years’ experience to cases presented in arbitration.
We have experience mediating and co-mediating both simple and complex matters.
We offer neutral mediation and conflict resolution services to individuals, families, businesses, groups and organizations, in both the public and private sectors, to assist in resolving disputes and conflict.
- Claims - Negligence, Personal Injury, Personal Injury Motor Vehicle, Product Liability, Small Claims Court, Small Claims Court Rule 7.3
- Elder Law
- Employment & Workforce - Employment, Harassment, Workplace Conflict/Bullying, Wrongful/Constructive Dismissal
- Family Law - Division of Family Property, Parenting Issues and Parenting Plans, Spousal and Child Support Services
- Finances & Taxation - Wills and Estates
- Industry - Construction, Environmental, Hospital, Health, Insurance, Sport, Transportation
- Mental Health Issues
- Professional / Organizational Complaints - Professional Misconduct, Professional Negligence
- Public Institutions / Charities / Non-Profits - Schools, Education, University, Municipal, Societies, Charities
- Commercial disputes – corporate, shareholder, construction and other disputes
- Rights & Identity - Defamation, Discrimination, Harassment, Bullying, Human Rights, Privacy, Information Access
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada®, 2017-2020
29 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 19 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020
19 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2020
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2020
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014-2020
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
News & Knowledge