Allegations of white collar crime require defence counsel experienced in both civil and criminal matters.
We understand how to defend clients against allegations of white collar crime. We also have deep understanding of securities and financial industries, as well as the related government and business regulations. And we understand the difference between negligence and criminal activity.
We defend individuals and executives against allegations of financial and other offences and have earned our reputation as some of the most tenacious and effective defence lawyers in the province.
Our lawyers represent many clients in proceedings before the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the BC Securities Commission (BCSC). Most of these matters are settled through negotiation that is unreported by regulatory bodies.
- Defence against accusations of insider trading, large-scale fraud or tax evasion.
- Assistance with cases involving misrepresentation in prospectuses, offerings, memorandums, assays, news releases and financial documents.
- Defence against prosecution by securities regulation authorities.
- Representation in allegations of market manipulation or fraudulent investment operations.
- Representation in matters involving cross-border issues, and the investigation and prosecution of British Columbia residents by foreign authorities such as the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Prosecution and defence of elected and public officials.
- Assistance with Medical Services Commission investigations.
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2018
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 15 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2017
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada®, 2017
19 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2018
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
News & Knowledge
- An executive is accused of submitting false information regarding mineral exploration to a group of investors in a mining venture.
- A corporate executive discusses workplace stresses with friends and family, who happen to own shares in the company he works for. Those he talks to subsequently sell all their shares. The executive is later accused of “tipping”.
- A senior banking officer is accused of using her post to participate in an international money-laundering scheme.
- Represented a Victoria-based mutual fund salesperson in an appeal of a $2 million fine imposed by the BC Securities Commission. The fine was reduced to $600,000.
- Represented clients charged with major fraud.
- Defended a mining executive charged with fraud and altering assay results.