Cameron Elder is a Partner with Harper Grey and the Chair of the firm’s Construction & Engineering Law Group. Cameron’s civil litigation practice is diverse, spanning the areas of health law, construction, commercial litigation, and real estate disputes. He has appeared in all levels of BC courts.
In his health law practice, Cameron has ten years of experience assisting, advising and defending physicians in medical malpractice claims and in matters relating to professional and ethical conduct.
Cameron’s construction law practice is focused on defending engineers and architects against error and omissions claims, and advising on risk management, including contracts, insurance, and pre-litigation dispute resolution.
He has a decade of experience defending construction defect and delay claims relating to public infrastructure, residential, and commercial developments. He has acted for architects, structural engineers, mechanical engineers and geotechnical engineers, among others. He has particular expertise dealing with geotechnical claims arising out of erosion, differential settlement, landslides, and drainage.
Cameron advises owners, general contractors, and consultants on commercial and real estate disputes involving CPLs, builder’s liens, easements, restrictive covenants, purchase and sale disputes, and strata disputes.
Cameron grew up in Halifax, Nova Scotia and obtained an undergraduate degree in Biology and International Development from Dalhousie University.
- University of Victoria, LL.B., 2005
- Dalhousie University, B.Sc., 2000
- British Columbia, 2007
- Contributor, Contemporary Canadian Insurance Law Casebook, 2015, Published by LexisNexis Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association - BC Branch, Real Property Subsection
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Pro Bono Volunteer, Access Justice Legal Clinic
Construction and Engineering Law
- Defending engineers and architects against breach of contract and negligence claims arising out of their provision of professional services
- Assisting owners and contractors with disputes over payment and/or deficiency claims
- Providing advice on contractual and insurance issues
- Drafting, filing or disputing certificates pending litigation
- Assisting clients with constructive trust claims
- Assisting clients with disputes over surveys, restrictive covenants, and nuisance issues
- Assisting clients with disputes arising out of the purchase and sale of property
- Shareholder disputes including oppression remedies
- Breach of contract claims
- Enforcement of judgments and equitable tracing
- Lawyer fee disputes
- Assisting, advising and defending physicians in medical malpractice claims
- Assisting physicians with hospital privileges and contract disputes with provincial health authorities
- Assisting physicians with issues of professional and ethical conduct
March 22, 2017
March 22, 2017
February 12, 2014