John Brown was the Managing Partner of Harper Grey LLP for the past 15 years. Throughout his tenure, John has enriched the culture of the firm and seen it prosper. John continues to maintain his active business law practice and is the co-chair of the firm's Business Law Group.
John's clients rely on him for strategic advice regarding corporate, commercial, and real estate transactions for their businesses and organizations. This includes acquisitions and dispositions of businesses, corporate finance, real estate purchases, sales, financing and leasing, wills and estate planning and providing general advice in respect of day to day corporate and commercial matters.
John is a member of Hollyburn Country Club in West Vancouver. He is an avid hockey player and fan, and is the firm's resident squash champion.
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 1975
- University of Victoria, B.A., 1972
- British Columbia, 1976
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: 4.4 Martindale Hubbell Distinguished SM
- Member, Canadian Bar Association - BC Branch, Business Law Subsection
- Member, BC Legal Management Association
- Past non-bencher member, Professional Standards Committee, Law Society of British Columbia
- Purchase and sale of insurance agencies, supermarket companies and professional practices such as medical and dental clinics
- Lease agreements including those for property and equipment
- Landlord/tenant negotiations
- Employment matters including employment contracts, transfers and issues involving purchase/sale of a business
- Partnership agreements
- Family-owned business agreements including succession plans, wills, estates and trusts
- Drafting contracts and sub-contracts
- Working with advisers such as accountants, finance officers, administrators and others to provide comprehensive client services
- Acting for a multi-national engineering and environmental consulting company in the acquisition of a Canadian company with operations in six Canadian jurisdictions
- Purchase of a BC company for its software licensing capability throughout North America for a Swedish company
- Purchase of a BC company for its software technology for a US company