Jonathan is the Managing Partner at Harper Grey. In addition to his role as Managing Partner, Jonathan practices in the areas of health, insurance, construction, and professional regulation and is called to the Bar in both BC and the Yukon Territory.
With over 20 years’ experience, Jonathan brings a well-rounded perspective and judgment to his diverse practice.
His practice includes advising and assisting physicians in professional liability and professional disciplinary matters. Jonathan’s work on behalf of insurers includes liability defence, coverage disputes, professional errors and omissions claims, defamation, sexual abuse/assault claims and the resolution of complex construction disputes.
Jonathan is a frequent guest lecturer and speaker sharing his legal knowledge on health and insurance law topics.
Born and raised in Manitoba. Jonathan is an accomplished musician who plays in various bands.
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the areas of Insurance Law, Health Care Law and Medical Negligence by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2015 - 2019
Rated as a "Repeatedly Recommended Leading Practitioner" in the area of Medical Negligence (Represents Defendants) and Litigation - Commercial Insurance by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2016, 2017, 2019
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Construction Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2017-2019
Recognized as a “Local Litigation Star" in British Columbia in the areas of Health Law, Insurance Law and Professional Liability by Benchmark Canada®, 2015 - 2019
- Providing legal services to physicians and other health care professionals in British Columbia
- Defending civil actions and matters before the Human Rights Tribunal
- Representing physicians and other health care professionals in disciplinary matters including allegations of sexual misconduct, breach of confidentiality, improper prescribing of medication and competence issues
- Providing counsel to physicians related to medical assistance in dying (MAID) and other issues relating to consent and capacity
- Representing insurance companies and their insureds in claims brought against them for personal injury and property loss
- Providing coverage advice to insurers on a broad range of complex and difficult issues including environmental matters, marine matters, misrepresentation, failure to cooperate, intentional and criminal acts, arson and bad faith
- Representing marine insurers and their insureds in matters involving property and casualty loss
- Defending insurance agents and brokers in professional liability (errors and omissions) claims
Construction & Engineering Law
- Counsel in construction deficiency and delay claims including large, complex multi-party proceedings with damages claims ranging from $200,000 to $30 million
- Representing parties involved in all aspects of construction, from subdivisions to single homes, including consultants, developers, architects, engineers, general contractors and construction sub-trades
- Appointed by insurers to represent owners and/or masters of pleasure craft with respect to bodily injury claims (including significant brain injury claims) and death claims – arising from collisions on inland waterways
- Counsel to various marine insurance brokers related to claims arising from water-skiing accidents, fatal accidents, oil spills and consequent environmental issues, inter-jurisdictional disputes and operation outside of territorial limits of policy
- Represented the owner of a submarine telecommunications cable in an action against the company laying the cable
- Advised a hull and machinery insurer regarding damage to a fishing vessel, where it was alleged that a collision was the result of intoxication of the master of the vessel
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 1996
- Trebas Institute of the Recording Arts, Diploma in Audio Engineering, 1990
- Yukon Territory, 2007
- British Columbia, 1997
- Managing Partner, Harper Grey
- Former Member, Harper Grey Practice Management Committee (2012-2017)
- Assistant Chair, Harper Grey Construction & Engineering Group
- UBC Faculty of Law, Guest Lecturer
- Contributing Author, Administrative Justice: A Practitioner’s Guide, 2016, Published by LexisNexis Canada
- Contributing Author, LexisNexis® Harper Grey Insurance Law Netletter™
- Contributing Author, Harper Grey Canadian Insurance Law Blog
- Contributing Author, Harper Grey Insurance Law Update Newsletter
- Contributing Author, Contemporary Canadian Insurance Law Casebook, 2015, Published by LexisNexis® Canada
- Past Board Member, Lookout Foundation
- Past President, Lookout Emergency Aid Society Board of Directors (2002 – 2014)
- Past Participant, Annual “Battle of the Bar Bands” contest which raises funds for local charities