Kim’s legal practice is broadly focused on matters associated with complex bodily injury claims which often involve complex causation issues.
In the insurance context, Kim is experienced in providing risk management advice and at representing clients in a variety of claims arising from excess automobile insurance policies, homeowners policies, product liability claims, slips and falls, and complex personal injury actions. She acts for insurance companies as well as self-insured businesses including numerous large retail chains.
In her health law practice Kim represents physicians in civil actions, coroners inquests, and in matters before the College of Physicians and Surgeons. She also provides advice to physicians on a wide range of medical legal matters.
In 2016 Kim was recognized as one of Lexpert’s Leading Lawyers Under 40 in Canada. She was chosen from among hundreds of nominees across the country based on criteria such as leadership, professional achievements, business acumen, adaptability, teamwork and interpersonal skills. In 2017 Kim was recognized as a “Leading Lawyer to Watch” in the area of Litigation – Commercial Insurance by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®
Kim practiced in the insurance group at Brownlee LLP, an Edmonton based firm, before moving west in 2008. She now shares her time between Vancouver and Vancouver Island and advises clients across British Columbia, and on occasion in Alberta.
Kim is an experienced public speaker, and brings to her legal practice a discipline and commitment that was honed through her experience serving as Miss Canada in 2000 and competing in the 2000 Miss Universe Pageant. She enjoys volunteering for various community organizations. Her past activities have included contributing her time and expertise to Student Legal Services of Edmonton, the Hope Mission and the AIDS/HIV network of Edmonton. She is a big supporter of BC Guide Dogs and recently adopted a retired service dog.
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer to Watch" in the area of Litigation - Commercial Insurance by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2017
2016, Lexpert® Rising Stars - Leading Lawyers Under 40 award recipient
Recognized as a “Future Star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada®, 2019-2020
- Representing regional, national and multinational insurance companies, and self-insured organizations such as major retail chains
- Commercial general liability
- Casualty claims
- Coverage issues
- Automobile accidents
- Occupiers liability matters
- Defending physicians against allegations of medical negligence
- Judicial Clerkship, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, 2007
- University of Alberta, LL.B., 2006
- Alberta, 2007
- British Columbia, 2008
- Co-Chair, Harper Grey Articling Students Committee
- Mentor, Harper Grey Mentoring Program
- Author, Harper Grey Retail Case Law Update
- Contributing Author, LexisNexis® Harper Grey Insurance Law Netletter™
- Contributing Author, Harper Grey Canadian Insurance Law Blog
- Contributing Author, Harper Grey Insurance Law Update Newsletter
- Contributing Author, Contemporary Canadian Insurance Law Casebook, 2015, Published by LexisNexis® Canada
- Former Chair, Harper Grey Associates Committee
- Member, Alberta Law Review, Editorial Board
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections:
- Civil Litigation
- Health Law
- Insurance Law