Laura acts for insurance clients on coverage, liability defence, and subrogation matters involving bodily injury and property loss. In addition she assists senior counsel on complex multi-party disputes.
In her health and professional regulation practices, Laura represents health professionals in complaint and disciplinary proceedings, and with matters involving their regulatory bodies. Laura has a fluency in medical legal language that comes from growing up in a family of physicians.
Laura has appeared before the British Columbia Provincial and Supreme Court and has assisted senior counsel with British Columbia Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada matters. Laura also represents clients in matters before the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench.
During her undergraduate studies in molecular genetics Laura worked as a researcher for the Vancouver Island Health Authority conducting a chart audit of insulin orders, comparing data from 2008 to data from 2010 at two different hospitals.
- University of Victoria, J.D., 2016
- University of Alberta, B.Sc. (Hons.), 2012
- British Columbia, 2017
- Volunteer, Access Pro Bono, with senior counsel successfully represented a client in a matter before the British Columbia Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal, 2015-2017.
- Volunteer, The Law Centre in Victoria BC, Pro Bono clinic for low-income individuals. Managed case load of up to 35 files. Drafted affidavits, Small Claims pleadings, legal opinion letters, and research memoranda. Conducted a criminal trial, two Small Claims applications and three sentencing submissions before the Provincial Court of British Columbia. 2015-2016.
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
Professor Jim Ellis Memorial Prize in International Law 2015
Harper Grey LLP Prize in Insurance Law 2015
Fasken Martineau Dumoulin LLP Shield (for mooting) 2015
The President’s Scholarship 2014
McCarthy Tétrault Prize in Contracts 2014
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt Prize in Contracts & Property 2014
Dean’s Citation in Science 2008 – 2012
Academic Excellence Scholarship 2008
Faculty of Science Academic Excellence Scholarship 2008