Michael is a real estate lawyer whose practice focuses upon commercial real estate transactions and real estate disputes. Michael’s cross disciplinary practice gives him a unique appreciation for the risk and rewards of real estate which informs the legal services he provides to his clients.
Michael is a lawyer with Harper Grey and a member of our Business and Real Estate Law Groups. He is also assistant chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group.
Michael’s clients range from the owner of a single rental unit to a publicly traded REIT. His transactional practice is focused on the purchase, sale, leasing and financing of commercial real estate. His dispute resolution practice focuses upon real estate disputes involving the purchase, sale, or valuation of real property as well as residential and commercial tenancy litigation. Michael also acts for strata corporations and owners in select matters such as the wind-up of strata corporations under Part 16 of the Strata Property Act.
Michael has a significant and diverse background in real estate which augments the legal services he provides to his clients. He practiced as a real estate agent and owned a rental property management business for seven years prior to entering the practice of law. His academic background, obtained from the UBC Sauder School of Business, specialized in the study of practical applications of commercial property management and commercial real estate appraisal principles. Michael’s best-selling guide “Landlording in Canada,” based on his real estate experience, is currently available in bookstores nationwide.
Michael’s representative real estate legal services includes the following:
- Acting for an institutional client for its purchase of a multimillion dollar apartment building portfolio located in the Lower Mainland.
- Negotiating the terms of the lease of two floors of a premier office building in downtown Vancouver on behalf of a tenant.
- Acting for a publicly traded mortgage investment corporation with respect to its financing of a multimillion dollar commercial real estate portfolio.
- Representing a developer alleged to have misrepresented a material fact in contravention of the Real Estate Development Marketing Act in a disclosure statement prepared for a strata pre-sale development
- Obtaining an order from the Residential Tenancy Branch of British Columbia permitting a manufactured home park landlord to increase the rents of all of its tenants above the maximum ordinarily permitted by statute because of an extraordinary capital expense
- Representing a purchaser of residential real estate before the Supreme Court of British Columbia for the purpose of obtaining a court order compelling a vendor to complete the sale of the property
Michael is also one of the few lawyers in British Columbia who routinely advises manufactured home park owners about various matters involving the Manufactured Home Park Tenancy Act.
- Thompson Rivers University Open Learning Division, Bachelor of General Studies, 2013
- University of Victoria, J.D., 2011
- Thompson Rivers University Open Learning Division, Diploma in General Studies, 2009
- Sauder School of Business UBC, Letter of Recognition, Advanced Studies in Real Estate, 2007
- Sauder School of Business UBC, Diploma in Urban Land Economics, 2005
- British Columbia, 2012
- Assistant Chair, Harper Grey Real Estate Group
- Director – LandlordBC
- Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association, Real Property Section
- Author, 4th Edition of Landlording in Canada, 2016, Self-Counsel Press Legal Series