Michael is a real estate lawyer whose practice focuses upon commercial real estate transactions and real estate disputes. Michael’s cross disciplinary practice gives him a unique appreciation for the risk and rewards of real estate which informs the legal services he provides to his clients.
Michael is a lawyer with Harper Grey and a member of our Business and Real Estate Law Groups. He is also Co-Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group.
Michael’s practice centers around providing advice and advocacy to owners and operators of investment real estate, and his clients range from the owner of a single residential rental unit to a publicly traded REIT. His practice is cross disciplinary in that he provides both transactional and dispute resolution services to his real estate clients, crossing traditional practice boundaries between litigation and transaction counsel.
Michael’s transactional practice is focused on the purchase, sale, leasing and financing of commercial real estate, and has included acting as counsel in transactions involving institutional-grade real estate assets worth hundreds of millions of dollars. His dispute resolution practice emphasizes commercial real estate disputes, and for profit residential housing regulation, including human rights, privacy, and high conflict or complex residential tenancy litigation.
Michael has a significant and diverse background in real estate which augments the legal services he provides to his clients. He studied real estate at the UBC Sauder School of Business, practiced as a real estate agent, and operated a rental property management business prior to entering the practice of law. Michael has also written extensively on the subject of real estate, including a Canadian best-selling book, “Landlording in Canada”, various industry articles, and a treatise on the subject of manufactured housing law in British Columbia.
Michael’s representative real estate legal services includes the following:
- Acting for an institutional client for its purchase of a multimillion dollar apartment building portfolio located in the Lower Mainland.
- Negotiating the terms of the lease of two floors of a premier office building in downtown Vancouver on behalf of a tenant.
- Acting for a publicly traded mortgage investment corporation with respect to its financing of a multimillion dollar commercial real estate portfolio.
- Representing a developer alleged to have misrepresented a material fact in contravention of the Real Estate Development Marketing Act in a disclosure statement prepared for a strata pre-sale development
- Obtaining an order from the Residential Tenancy Branch of British Columbia permitting a manufactured home park landlord to increase the rents of all of its tenants above the maximum ordinarily permitted by statute because of an extraordinary capital expense
- Representing a purchaser of residential real estate before the Supreme Court of British Columbia for the purpose of obtaining a court order compelling a vendor to complete the sale of the property
Michael is also one of the few lawyers in British Columbia who routinely advises manufactured home park owners about various matters involving the Manufactured Home Park Tenancy Act.
- Thompson Rivers University Open Learning Division, Bachelor of General Studies, 2013
- University of Victoria, J.D., 2011
- Thompson Rivers University Open Learning Division, Diploma in General Studies, 2009
- Sauder School of Business UBC, Letter of Recognition, Advanced Studies in Real Estate, 2007
- Sauder School of Business UBC, Diploma in Urban Land Economics, 2005
- British Columbia, 2012
- Co-Chair, Harper Grey Real Estate Group
- Director – LandlordBC
- Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association, Real Property Section
- Author, 4th Edition of Landlording in Canada, 2016, Self-Counsel Press Legal Series