Rose is Associate Counsel with Harper Grey and a member with of both our Wills & Estates and Business Law Groups. She brings more than 13 years’ experience to her practice which is primarily focused on assisting families and businesses with their planning, succession, estate, and business needs. She strives to make life’s inevitabilities, death and taxes, less daunting a topic for clients while being alert to the complications these raise from a legal, family, tax, probate fee, and cost perspective.
There are many tools offered by the legal system to achieve estate planning and business succession intentions, but rarely are all of them necessary. Rose’s objectives are two-fold: ensuring that clients are aware of the various tools while at the same time making sure that problems aren’t over-solved by implementing mechanisms that aren’t proportionately practical or offer limited cost-benefit.
Rose is an active member of the community and a sought after speaker, frequently presenting at community learning seminars in respect of personal planning, elder law, estates, and business succession and tax planning. She has been an active member of Advocis Vancouver’s Annual Estate Conference Committee, as well as volunteer editor for industry publications, such as the Continuing Legal Education BC Probate & Estate Administration Practice Manual, and Estate Planning & Wealth Preservation Manual.
As a volunteer director for the Charlford House Society for Women, Rose continues her commitment to support resources for women and their growth and independence.
- Works collaboratively with clients and their advisors (accountant, financial planners, insurance advisors, family enterprise advisors, and the like) to create and implement integrated planning models
- Advises and assists clients with their personal estate and incapacity planning, including evaluating the appropriateness of and preparing Wills, Powers of Attorney (enduring and limited, as circumstances require), Representation
- Agreements, and Trusts such as family trusts, joint partner trusts, alter ego trusts, and insurance trusts
- Assists individuals and trust companies in navigating the probate process and the ongoing administration of estates and trusts
- Advises and assists attorneys appointed under Powers of Attorney in understanding and carrying out their responsibilities
- Advises and assists business owners with their corporate planning and transitioning their businesses to the next generation, employees, or purchasers, including estate freezes and reorganizations, while (in the case of generational planning) being mindful of the family relationships and impact of planning on the family dynamic
- University of Victoria, B.A., 2003
- University of Victoria, L.L.B., 2006
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada, In-Depth Tax Course, 2017
- British Columbia, 2007
- Past Co-Chair, Canadian Bar Association Elder Law Section
- BC Branch
- Special Committee Chair, Canadian Bar Association
- BC Branch
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Estate Planning Council of Vancouver
- Past Executive Member, National CBA Elder Law Section