Sandra is Associate Counsel with Harper Grey practising with our Wills & Estates and Business Law Groups. Her practice is focused on wealth management and preservation.
Throughout her career, Sandy has focused on supporting clients in the areas of:
- Estate planning
- Estate administration
- Incapacity planning
- Wealth management and preservation
- Tax and probate fee minimization
- Business succession planning
- Inter-generational family wealth planning
Sandy works and collaborates with:
- Individuals and families
- Business owners
- Financial institution professionals
- Trust companies
- Family lawyers and others who require assistance in this specialized area
Sandy’s deep and abiding care for her clients and their families informs everything that she does in her practice.
Her legal background and wealth planning experience with large financial institutions have equipped her to provide comprehensive and integrated wealth planning recommendations and guidance to her clients. Sandy is a designated member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, and is recognized by her peers and industry as a senior practitioner in this field.
Sandy honed her expertise as a tax lawyer in downtown Vancouver where she specialized in tax and estate planning. Most recently as the former Vice-President & Regional Director of Planning for a nationally recognised financial institution, Sandy provided overall leadership and strategic direction to advanced planning experts.
Working from the belief that best results often come from taking a collaborative approach, Sandy frequently teams with other service providers such as accountants, financial institution professionals, and family lawyers to ensure optimum outcomes.
Sandy has a particular gift for translating complicated legal concepts into every day language. As a refugee from Vietnam her childhood in Canada was spent helping her parents and their friends understand the financial, legal, and cultural aspects of their new country.
Our firm has the ability to interpret for a number of different languages, including Cantonese and Mandarin, with respect to wills, trusts, powers of attorney and other estate planning documents. We are also able to review and unofficially translate Chinese documents including business contracts and related materials.
- Estate planning advice regarding wills, powers of attorney instruments, representation agreements for health care, trusts, and corporate reorganizations.
- Inter-generational family wealth planning
- Design and implementation of plans for income splitting and creditor protection.
- Design of customised plans to minimize or avoid taxes on death, to reduce probate fees or avoid the need to apply for probate, and to protect the estate against litigation.
- Incapacity planning and committee applications –helping families with advanced planning to protect against a parent or other loved one who loses their capacity to run their personal and business affairs. Seniors can be vulnerable to financial abuse so getting protections into place as soon as possible is vital.
- Estate administration including probate and other administration applications.
- Helping clients with family-owned or owner-run business succession planning including managing the challenges of multi-family issues, advising on complex corporate and trust structures, and managing family expectations.
- Developing and implementing plans for cash flow management.
- Establishing secure “family bank” structures.
- Financially educating the next generation to help preserve and grow the family wealth and business.
- UBC Sauder School of Business, Executive Education, UBC Business Families Centre, 2015
- Financial Planning Standards Council, CFP, 2013
- CPA Canada In-Depth Tax Course, 2005–2007
- University of British Columbia, JD, 2004
- Canadian Securities Institute, Canadian Securities Course (Honours), 2002
- Simon Fraser University, BBA, 1996
- British Columbia, 2005
- Chair, CBA Wills & Trusts Subsection, 2018-2019
- Vice-Chair, CBA Wills & Trusts Subsection, 2017-2018
- Author, Estate Planning and Wealth Preservation Update
- Treasurer, Wills and Trusts Section, Canadian Bar Association – British Columbia Branch, 2016-2017
- Legislative Liaison, Wills and Trusts Subsection, Canadian Bar Association – British Columbia Branch, 2015-2016
- Secretary, Wills and Trusts Subsection, Canadian Bar Association – BC Branch, 2014-2015
- Past President, Association of Women in Finance, 2013-2014
- Past Vice-President, Association of Women in Finance, 2012-2013
- Past Events Co-Chair, Association of Women in Finance, 2011-2012