Scott is an Associate with Harper Grey and is a member of our Health Law, Insurance, Professional Regulation and Workplace Law Groups. He is the chair of our Workplace Law Group and Associates Committee.
Scott assists physicians, pharmacists, naturopathic doctors, physiotherapists, massage therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, social workers, dentists, chiropractors, traditional Chinese medicine practitioners and other health professionals in both civil and regulatory matters. The regulatory matters include College complaints/investigations, MSC/PharmaCare billing audits, and criminal matters.
Scott also works with employers and employees on a wide variety of workplace issues, including:
- Wrongful dismissals
- Workplace investigations
- Drafting and enforcing employment contracts for both management and employees
- Providing strategic advice regarding issues involving restraints of trade, restrictive covenants, non-solicitation and non-compete matters.
Scott is one of our in-house authorities on human rights law and has successfully represented clients before the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal.
Scott’s experience in the professional regulation and workplace environments uniquely positions him to assist health professionals navigate the complexities of the workplace setting in a professionally regulated framework.
Scott joined the firm in 2008 after completing his articles with Harper Grey. During law school, Scott completed a semester at The University of Leiden, Netherlands and won the prize for the highest mark in his Insurance Law class. Originally from Burnaby, BC, Scott completed his undergraduate degree in criminology at Simon Fraser University.
Professional Regulation and Health Law
- Advising physicians, pharmacists, physiotherapists, massage therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, social workers, dentists, optometrists, denturists, chiropractors, and traditional Chinese medicine practitioners in response to complaints made to their regulatory bodies.
- Providing advice and assistance to physicians, pharmacists, and podiatrists regarding Medical Services Commission and PharmaCare billing audits
- Successfully representing a registered massage therapist in a criminal trial in 2013.
- Assisting health professionals and others to make submissions to Crown counsel when facing potential criminal charges.
Workplace and Human Rights Law
- Representing employees, employers, health professionals, and landlords in human rights matters involving discrimination based on age, sex, mental and physical disability, and ethnicity.
- Advising employers about accommodating and terminating employees.
- Representing clients in the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the Provincial Court of British Columbia and in negotiations and mediations
- Representing Ontario and British Columbia based insurance companies and their insureds in disputes arising from motor vehicle accidents
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 2007
- Simon Fraser University, B.A., 2004
- British Columbia, 2008
- Chair, Harper Grey Workplace Law Group
- Chair, Harper Grey Associates Committee, 2017
- Contributing Author, LexisNexis® Harper Grey Administrative Law Netletter™
- Contributing Author, Harper Grey Canadian Administrative Law Blog
- Contributing Author, Harper Grey Administrative Law Observer Newsletter
- Contributing Author, Administrative Justice: A Practitioner’s Guide, 2016, Published by LexisNexis® Canada
- Member, CPHR BC & Yukon (formerly HRMA)
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections:
- Human Rights