William Clark is a senior partner at Harper Grey. He is the Chair of our Professional Regulation group and is the Assistant Chair of our Health Law group.
William represents clients in both civil and regulatory matters. He has acted as counsel for most types of professionals, including doctors, dentists, psychologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, engineers and nurses.
Professionals rely on William to provide practical advice on regulatory and disciplinary matters. His experience in and intimate knowledge of how regulations such as the Health Professions Act are typically applied, and how professionals often structure their practice allow for very reliable advocacy.
When not helping clients, William serves as the firm's resident expert on where to find the best pizza in town.
- University of Victoria, LL.B., 1988
- University of British Columbia, B.A., 1982
- British Columbia, 1989
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Canada 2015 and 2016 as a leading lawyer in the area of Health Care Law
- Chair, Harper Grey LLP Professional Regulation Practice Group
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, National Health Law Subsection
- Member, Medical Legal Society of BC
- Speaker, "Self Governing Professions 2011" presented by the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC
- Speaker, Canadian Medical Protective Association Symposia
- Speaker, "Critical Issues in Health Law: A National Summit" presented by the Canadian Bar Association
- Representing professionals in disciplinary matters including improper administration (billing, record keeping), communication with patients/clients, negligence, and allegations of sexual misconduct
- Advocating for professionals applying for a licence to practice in British Columbia
- Representing clients at tribunals, hearings and other meetings at regulatory organizations such as the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC, the College of Dental Surgeons of BC, and the College of Phsyiotherapists of BC
- Advising clients on matters involving breach of confidentiality and the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act
- Counsel on an appeal involving a Constitutional and Charter challenge to a finding of professional misconduct and conduct unbecoming
- Providing policy advice to professional organizations, including advice regarding professional liability insurance
- Counsel to the Royal Commission on Workers Compensation in British Columbia
- William often works with other Harper Grey counsel on matters intersecting professional regulation, civil litigation and/or criminal law
- Counsel in a number of Supreme Court of Canada cases such as London Drugs v. Kuhne & Nagel (vicarious liability), A.M. v. Ryan (evidence, disclosure, counselling records), and Hollis v. Birch (establishing a manufacturer’s duty to warn of potentially hazardous medical products)
June 20, 2012
CLE Society of BC
May 26, 2011
April 1, 2011
September 24, 2009
May 21, 2009
Published in: 2015 update, Continuing Legal Education, British Columbia Administrative Law Practice Manual, Part Two: Review by the Courts