Together with Dr. Galt Wilson, Guy Brown, QC presented “Opioids: How Much Is Too Much?” at the recent 2016 CLEBC Medical Legal Conference. The presentation reviewed:
- the new college prescribing standards – what has changed?
- what is the difference between a professional standard of practice and a legal standard of care?
- what role do guidelines, standards, and other authoritative publications play in determining the legal standard of practice and a legal standard of care?
- what duty is owed by a physician to a patient with severe chronic pain?
- are the new college standards determinative in college disciplinary proceedings?
The twin disciplines of medicine and law naturally have many points of intersection. In the profession of medicine there is an interest in compliance with legal and regulatory standards and the avoidance of medical malpractice claims. In the profession of law, the medical dimension arises where there are injured parties and claims in the context of accidents, occupational health, and medical care. The dual focus of the CLEBC Medical Legal Conference was relevant to doctors, lawyers, nurses, and legal support staff.
Learn more about CLEBC here.