This interactive workshop discussed the tax and other implications of equity compensation (stock option plans).
Workshop attendees learned the following:
- What the different types of equity plans are
- Taxation differences between employees and independent contractors
- What are the benefits of being and maintaining status as a “CCPC”
- When do you recognize the benefit and when do you have to pay the tax
- How to qualify for the lifetime capital gains exemption
- What happens in the event of a loss on a business failure
- What are the differences that apply if you hire a US citizen
- Whether you are required to withhold and remit tax to CRA
- What happens on a buyout or share exchange
- Whether to consider having an employee share trust
Read more about the event here.