Kim maintains a busy ligation practice, including professional liability, personal injury and major property loss disputes. She frequently advanced large subrogated claims on behalf of insurers. Kim has been counsel on a number of significant decisions in British Columbia including cases deciding the issue of causation in medical negligence.
Kim has over 25 years of conflict resolution experience with an emphasis on professional interactions and communication. She has represented professionals before Regulatory Bodies, Provincial Health Authorities and the Hospital Appeal Board. Kim also has a deep understanding of and key insights into the realm of mediation in civil litigation. She has taken advanced mediation courses through the Justice Institute, is on the Associate Roster with Mediate BC and is currently studying collaborative conflict resolution.
Through Kim’s work as a practicing lawyer and mediator she has gained considerable insights into the challenges faced by professionals working in high stress environments. Given what is at stake, she has found that early intervention using a collaborative approach to the process of resolution produces the most positive results.
Kim has also developed niche expertise in the emerging legal field of MAID (medical assistance in dying). Kim is Chair of the National CBA End-of-Life Working Group convened to study the legal and ethical issues surrounding end of life decisions. On May 10, 2016, on behalf of the CBA, she presented before the Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs regarding Bill C-14, the proposed legislation to address MAID.
Born and raised in Alberta, Kim now lives in the Lower Mainland with her family. She is an accomplished athlete. She enjoys road biking, has completed two marathons and has dabbled a bit in the world of triathlons. Her athletic pursuits have allowed her to bring a strong sense of discipline and focus to her conflict resolution practice.
Named as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Healthcare Law (Nationwide-Canada) by Chambers Canada®, 2019
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Medical Negligence by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2016 -2019
Rated as a "Consistently Recommended Leading Practitioner" in the area of Medical Negligence (Represents Defendants) by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2014 - 2018
Recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” in British Columbia in the areas of Health Law and Medical Malpractice by Benchmark Canada®, 2014 - 2018
Recognized as a “Future Star” in British Columbia in the area of Medical Malpractice by Benchmark Canada®, 2013
- Appeared as lead and co-counsel in numerous compromised infant cases
- Lead counsel in one of the two precedential cases on wrongful life: Roe v. Dabbs
- Co-counsel in one of the leading BC Court of Appeal decisions regarding government funding of compromised infant claims: Fullerton v. Delair
- Lead counsel in one of the leading cases on a patient’s obligation to follow up: Konevitchenko v. Andreou
- Co-counsel in two leading causation cases: Bigcharles v. Lomax and Moore v. Johnson
- Co-counsel in one of the leading decisions on a physician’s duty to follow up and cost of care issues: Kahlon v. Kahn
- Counsel on a special costs application: Steinebach v. O’Brien
- Lead counsel in a case dismissed on the limitation issue: Lorette v. Thorson Health Care
- Key Disposal Ltd. v. Laidlaw Waste Systems (Canada) Ltd.
- Key Disposal v. Paullos
- Justice Institute of BC, Foundations of Collaborative Conflict Resolution: Workplace Focus, 2016
- Continuing Legal Education Course, Dealing with High-Conflict Personalities, 2016
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 1989
- University of Calgary, B.P.E., 1985
- British Columbia, 1990
- Washington State, 1994
- CBA Representative, Canadian Advanced Care Planning Task Force
- Committee Member, Hollyburn Swim Club
- Member, Harper Grey Practice Management Committee
- Assistant Chair, Harper Grey Health Law Group
- Member, Harper Grey Diversity Committee
- Health Law Legal Annotator, Quickscribe Services Ltd.
- Member, Legal Advisory Committee, standing committee of the Board of Directors of Dying with Dignity Canada
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association, End of Life Working Group
- Officer and Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association, National Health Law Subsection, since 2007
- Co-Chair, Canadian Bar Association National Health Law Summit, 2009 and 2011
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association Planning Committee National Health Law Summit, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017
- Past Vice-Chair, Canadian Bar Association – BC Branch, Health Law Subsection
- Speaker, Canadian Medical Protective Association Symposia
- Mentor, Canadian Bar Association
- Past Board Member, British Columbia College of Naturopaths
- Past Board Member, African Canadian Continuing Education Society (ACCES)
- Author, various publications on health law topics and the issue of conflicts
- Board Member, WOWRide (Women on Wheels) Cycling Club
- University of British Columbia Moot Court Judge
- Frequent lecturer on topics pertaining to professional negligence
- Member at Large, Canadian Bar Association Health Section
- Member, Medical Legal Society of British Columbia
- Member, Washington State Bar Association (non-practicing)
- Member, Defence Research Institute
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections:
- Health Law
- Administrative Law
- Civil Litigation