Aviation is a highly specialized and complex area of law that requires a deep understanding of the industry.
We have extensive experience in the area of aviation law and have, for decades, helped clients with liability claims, TSB investigations, and business law matters.
Aviation disputes are complex. Our clients rely on us to assist them in navigating the unique challenges they face drawing on our solid understanding of the sensitive issues that may be in play, our in-depth knowledge of regional considerations and our ability to access the right experts.
We have significant experience advising insurers and their insureds on a variety of issues including liability and coverage disputes. We work closely with local adjusters and respected experts to assess the legal risks faced by underwriters and operators and provide them with strategic options and solutions that best meet their needs.
We have also advised municipalities and other public bodies with respect to federal aviation regulations and governmental compliance.
We are counsel to:
- Aviation insurers and brokers
- Aviation syndicates
- Aircraft owners and operators
- Aircraft maintenance and repair facilities
- Charter operators
- Flying clubs and flight schools
Our aviation lawyers are active members of the following organizations:
- Air Transportation Association of Canada – ATAC
- Aviation Insurance Association – AIA
- Canadian Bar Association – BC Branch, Air Law Subection
- Helicopter Association of Canada – HAC
- Helicopter Association International – HAI
- Passenger claims including loss of life, loss of property and bodily injury.
- Major claims such as total loss of aircraft, hull damage and fire damage.
- Equipment damage claims.
- Lease negotiations.
- Product liability for parts and equipment such as propellers, rotors, tires, and finely-engineered instruments.
- Enforcement of foreign letters rogatory.
- Regulatory and administrative proceedings including: Transportation Safety Board of Canada hearings, representation before the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada, representation at Coroners' Inquests.
19 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2018
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 15 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2017
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2018
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada®, 2017
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
News & Knowledge