Defamation, libel, slander and breach of privacy are serious matters. Our lawyers tenaciously pursue legal remedies while respecting sensitive client needs.
In today’s digital age, where sensitive personal information is stored electronically, protecting personal information has never been more important.
We assist our clients with compliance matters relating to the application of privacy and data legislation, the development of appropriate policies, and responding to privacy breaches and Freedom of Information requests.
We can help you wade through the ins and outs of privacy and defamation claims.
Defamation can happen verbally, in print or social media and even in a letter or email. You have a right to privacy and a right to protect your future. Our in-depth expertise enables us to handle matters quickly and precisely, so you can move on with dignity and your reputation intact.
Defamation is often referred to as a form of personal injury. While not a physical injury, defamation damages are often covered under personal or business liability insurance policies.
For example, home or rental insurance coverage often takes personal liability into account and a claim against this coverage could include any damages, as well as any legal fees involved. Professional liability coverage, such as errors and omissions insurance or a policy negotiated through membership in a professional association will often cover legal fees and damages. Business insurance may offer another avenue for funding or defending a defamation claim.
- Social media policy development for employers and organizations.
- Representation in social media and general media defamation matters.
- Tracking down "anonymous" website contributors and publishers. This often involves investigating international internet hosting and email services.
- Representing professionals who have been defamed by clients, patients and others on "rating" websites.
- Representing individuals and organizations defamed in print, email, verbal commentary, media or other publications.
- Representing politicians and those running for elected office in cases involving defamation, libel, slander and breach of privacy.
- Advising media outlets before and after publication of statements and stories.
- Having defamatory statements retracted and removed from public access.
- Seizure of electronic equipment allegedly used to defame, such as laptops and mobile phones.
- Representation in online defamation cases which involve privacy and freedom of information laws from other countries where internet service providers or media outlets are located.
- Claims for breach of privacy under federal or provincial legislation, which may involve information protected by governments, employers and private businesses.
- Negotiating acceptable damages awards in order to prevent matters from going to trial and entering the public record.
- Working with insurance companies and their insured whose coverage may include the personal liability of defamation.
19 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2018
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 15 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2017
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2018
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada®, 2017
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Kim Yee receives prestigious Lexpert® 2016 Rising Stars Award honoring Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
News & Knowledge