With a reputation as being among the best securities litigation firms in the country, we provide straightforward, informed advice and creative solutions to resolve your situation.
We represent securities clients whose reputation, ability to operate, and share value are seriously threatened.
Broker dealers, investment advisors, mutual fund salespeople, brokerage firms, public companies, directors and officers rely on our lawyers to resolve their securities law issues fairly and efficiently.
Our lawyers handle securities matters involving both civil and criminal law. We take an objective, pragmatic view of your best options, and rely on strong, respectful relationships with authorities to negotiate a solution.
- Regulatory proceedings before the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the BC Securities Commission.
- Defending securities professionals against allegations of fraud, negligent misrepresentation and misappropriation.
- Defence against charges relating to white collar crime.
- Directors and officers liability - advice and representation in matters involving oppression, derivative actions and/or breach of fiduciary duty.
- Shareholder disputes - representation of public companies and individuals.
- Suitability issues - helping individuals deal with issues raised by the TSX-Venture Exchange.
- US Securities and Exchange Commission investigations - representing companies, directors, officers and business people in cross-border matters concerning investigations and procedures undertaken by US issuers.
- Multilateral Assistance Treaty Act issues.
- A director of a public mining company is accused of misappropriating funds and fraud.
- A broker dealer is under investigation after a regulator receives multiple complaints from her clients about her communication and reporting procedures.
- A brokerage firm discovers that it has major compliance discrepancies with a securities commission.
- Our group represents many clients in proceedings before IIROC and the BC Securities Commission. Most of these matters are settled through negotiation that is unreported by regulatory authorities.
- Representing a plaintiff in a securities matter set for a 25-day trial.
- Acting for the chairman and CEO of Ebco Industries in a 45-day trial. The litigation was brought by a minority shareholder. It is one of the few directors and officers liability claims ever to proceed to a full trial in British Columbia.
- Representing a CEO removed from his role at a public company.
- Representing a Victoria-based mutual fund salesperson in an appeal of a $2 million fine imposed by the BC Securities Commission. The fine was reduced to $600,000.
- Representing a broker against an indemnity lawsuit alleging that he guaranteed clients a rate of return on notes.
- Defence of a registered representative against allegations of an “RRSP stripping scheme”.
- Representing a broker against allegations of a commission kickback arrangement.
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2020
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014-2020
29 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 19 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020
19 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2020
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada®, 2017-2020
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
Harper Grey recognized as "Repeatedly Recommended" in the area of Litigation – Securities by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2020
News & Knowledge