Owais has successfully represented clients in securities litigation and commercial litigation disputes including those involving shareholders, regulatory matters involving the Ontario Securities Commission, IIROC and the TSX, and securities class actions. He has also defended clients against allegations of white collar crime.
Prior to joining Harper Grey, Owais practiced at a leading securities litigation boutique in Toronto. After receiving his law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School, Owais clerked at the Ontario Securities Commission.
Securities Litigation and Regulation
- Defending directors and officers against allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and negligence
- Representing individuals and companies in oppression actions
- Successfully represented a former director and officer of a high-tech company in an appeal against a criminal fraud conviction
- Securities class actions
- Represented a multinational company in an employment dispute with a former senior officer in Hong Kong
- Disciplinary proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission and IIROC, involving both individuals and financial institutions
- Seeking court approval for plans of arrangement
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 2008
- University of British Columbia, B.A., 2005
- British Columbia, 2011
- Ontario, 2009
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch