Prentice’s practice involves advising both entrepreneurial and corporate clients at any stage, from early growth to large-scale businesses, in a wide variety of corporate/commercial and securities issues. He focuses on stimulating creativity and growth, helping businesses thrive, and providing counsel, guidance and practical solutions to his clients.
Practical Solutions for Complicated Markets
Prentice is known for his practical approach to the law. His experience and reputation help his clients make sound choices. Prentice offers clients an understanding of the operations and challenges specific to a variety of commercial industries and environments, particularly in the technology sector. His clients regularly turn to him as they seek and pursue new business endeavours.
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Corporate Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2017
Creativity and Growth
Prentice offers new and existing businesses with creative approaches to dealing with their legal issues. Whether Prentice is advising a client in the early or growth stages or in forming an exit strategy, he understands how to assist clients to achieve their goals. Prentice serves as counsel to both entrepreneurs and corporate clients in both the private and public sectors, advising on a wide range of securities and corporate/commercial issues.
Helping Businesses Thrive
Prentice assists clients in a sound and practical way to help them reach their business goals. He understands business operations, and service expectations. His work includes:
- Business entity formation and structuring
- Shareholders’ Agreements
- Venture capital financing
- Public offerings and private placements
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures and partnerships
- Business purchases and sales
- Reviewing business plans
- Contracts with suppliers, distributors and customers
- Licensing and intellectual property agreements
- Compensation and equity incentive plans
Counselor and Business Professional
Prior to practising law, Prentice spent more than five years in the private sector as a corporate professional. His experience ranged from marketing and investor relations, to financing/structuring transactions, to risk analysis and management. Prentice advises his clients with a full repertoire and understanding of stakeholder demands.
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 2005
- University of British Columbia, M.B.A., 2005
- University of New Brunswick, B.A. (With Distinction), 1997
- British Columbia, 2006
- Director, St. George’s School Foundation
- Past President, The Georgians – St. George’s Old Boys Association
- Past Chair, Business Law Section, BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association
- Former Board member, Endeavour for the Benefit of the Arts, Sciences and Health
- Mentor, University of Victoria Business Law Clinic
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association (VBA)