Ryan has taken an unorthodox career path to advising entrepreneurs. Before joining Harper Grey, Ryan co-founded a legal tech startup and was a founder and general counsel of the general partner to a succession planning private equity fund. He draws on these unique experiences in order to provide practical advice at all stages of the business life cycle.
Ryan understands the risks faced by entrepreneurs and investors alike, from startups to mature businesses. He takes the time to understand his clients’ business models, and unique problems, with a goal of empowering them to move forward with their roadmap (and the numerous pivots along the way).
Whether you are getting ready for a pre-seed raise, issuing options to attract a talented management team, or looking to disrupt an industry, Ryan looks forward to understanding what makes your business tick and how he can help.
- University of Alberta, B.Comm., 2013
- University of Alberta, J.D., 2016
- Alberta, 2017
- British Columbia, 2020
- Alumni Mentor, University of Alberta (Faculty of Law and Faculty of Business)
- Pro Bono Lawyer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel
- Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity
- Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Business Law
M&A and Securities
- Counsel to syndicate of venture groups for up to $6M USD cross-border investment in a BC-based networking platform company
- Counsel to family members of a multigenerational business for a negotiated shareholders’ buyout in lieu of proceeding with contentious litigation
- Counsel to legal tech company on formation, operations, and becoming investor-ready for pre-seed fundraising
- Counsel to general partner of a private equity fund for facilitating M&A activities
- Advised tech company on regulatory matters affecting operations and potential opportunities for strategic expansion
- Prepared anti-money laundering compliance program for approval by an international financial institution
Ryan has several years’ experience acting as in-house counsel for entrepreneurial clients, where he was not afraid to roll up his sleeves and help the team on other fronts. His non-legal experience includes alpha- and beta-testing applications, managing stakeholder relations, and engaging with founders to identify product-market fit.