One of the leading regional law firms in western Canada, Vancouver’s Harper Grey has been a part of the local legal landscape for more than a century. We are proud of our 110-year history and the role that we have played and continue to play in the shaping of our province’s laws.
Our core strength in business law, corporate/commercial litigation, insurance law, administrative law, medical defence and health law have served as the foundation from which we have built many niche practices, enabling us to offer our clients a wide range of legal services. Harper Grey’s size and diversity of practice allows us to represent a broad spectrum of clients including private individuals, large institutional organizations, emerging businesses and mature companies spanning a range of industries.
We have a long tradition of excellence and an exceptional reputation for delivering high quality legal work and counsel. Many of our lawyers are recognized among the top practitioners in their areas of expertise by a number of ranking agencies, including Chambers® Canada and Lexpert®.
- Date Established: 1907
- Total Offices: 1
- Number of Lawyers: 62
- Support Staff: +100
- Areas of Expertise
- Affiliations: TAGLaw International
- More than 20 Queen’s Counsel appointments
- 1 former partner appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of B.C.
- 3 former partners appointed BC Supreme Court Justices
- 2 former partners appointed BC Court of Appeal Justices
- 1 former partner elected BC MLA and appointed the Minister of Technology, Innovation and Citizens’ Services
- Our first name partner, Art Harper, was treasurer of the Law Society and instrumental in establishing the first Law foundation in the commonwealth, which model has been used in all of the provinces
Harper Grey lawyers have and continue to support both our legal and local communities, highlights of which include:
- Serving as Chairs or Vice-Chairs of various CBA and Law Society sections and subsections.
- Serving as Directors, Chairs and Treasurers of numerous societies and associations.
- Writing academic articles in leading reference and law journals.
- Writing timely and topical articles for various industry specific publications.
- Acting as adjunct professors of law.
- Volunteering with various law schools.
- Presenting and participating in multiple seminars.
- Volunteering with Access Pro Bono.
Rankings + Recognitions
Law firms around the world are regularly rated for their expertise, quality of work and level of service by clients and peers through various ranking agencies.
A sample of our firm rankings can be found below. Additional rankings can be found on the pages for specific areas of expertise and individual lawyers.
- 16 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark® Canada 2017 – May 11, 2017
- For the fifth consecutive year, Harper Grey receives highest ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in BC from Benchmark Canada® 2017 – May 11, 2017
- Harper Grey recognized as a “Leading Firm” in five practice areas by 2017 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory® – May 8, 2017
- 18 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by 2017 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory® – May 5, 2017
- Barbara Norell bestowed the honorary title of Queen’s Counsel – February 2, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas – January 30, 2017
- Kim Yee receives prestigious Lexpert® 2016 Rising Stars Award honoring Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40 – November 18, 2016
- William Clark named Vancouver Health Care “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers® in Canada 2017 – August 25, 2016
- Harper Grey recognized as a “top-listed” firm in Vancouver and in British Columbia by Best Lawyers® in Canada 2017 in the areas of Health Care Law, Legal Malpractice Law and Medical Negligence – August 10, 2016
- Best Lawyers® in Canada 2017 recognizes 24 Harper Grey lawyers across 15 specialty areas of practice earning a total of 37 rankings – August 10, 2016
- Chambers Canada® 2017 recognizes Harper Grey as a leading law firm nationally in the area of Healthcare and regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution – June 10, 2016
- Chambers Canada® 2017 recognizes Harper Grey partners, John Sullivan and Chris Rusnak, as “Leaders in Their Field” in the area of Dispute Resolution (British Columbia) – June 9, 2016
- Chambers Canada® 2017 recognizes Harper Grey partner, Richard Bereti, as a “Leader in His Field” in the area of Environment (Nationwide-Canada) – June 9, 2016
- Harper Grey receives 2016 Health Law Firm of the Year award from Benchmark Canada® – February 25, 2016
In 1907, the Honourable Joseph A. Martin, K.C., popularly known as “Fighting Joe”, formed a new partnership with Charles W. Craig and Harry A. Bourne carrying on business under the name Martin, Craig & Bourne.
After one hundred years and more than 20 rounds of mergers and expansions leading to as many updates to the firm name, we became the present day Harper Grey LLP. Maintaining our tradition of representing BC based clients and shaping BC laws and continually diversifying the types of law we practice to meet the needs of an ever-expanding geographical client base has been instrumental in our becoming the western-regional force we are today.
While the firm has had many opportunities to join national firms we remain regional, entirely convinced that our founders and those who followed have steered the right course by setting our roots deeper and deeper in the West, and always focusing on what we do best.
Local Depth | Global Reach
Harper Grey serves clients worldwide through our membership in TAGLaw, a worldwide alliance of independent law firms that today ranks among the five largest legal alliances in the world.
Our membership in TAGLaw provides our clients with access to a world-wide team of over 10,000 lawyers with local and knowledgeable expertise within more than 160 independent member firms across over 90 countries ready to meet their legal needs.
If you require legal expertise in another province or country, our TAGLaw partner, John Sullivan, would be happy to help you locate the skilled and trusted legal counsel you need. You can reach him at 604.895.2859 or email@example.com