Business disputes can put owners, shareholders and operations at serious risk. Our commercial litigation team understands your competitive environment and your goals. We'll respect your need to negotiate an early agreement or go all the way to trial and beyond.
Our lawyers offer sharp insight and extensive expertise to ensure that matters are resolved efficiently and effectively.
We represent clients in mediations, at arbitrations, in hearings and in court every day. We understand that litigation can be costly, and we respect the fact that some of our clients want to resolve matters quickly and privately.
Our approach to dispute resolution begins with the premise that a matter will go to trial. The best litigation strategies anticipate every angle, twist and turn that may crop up if a dispute is argued before a judge and possibly a jury. Our lawyers strategize from the strongest possible position, regardless of whether the issues are resolved before or after court.
Our group has significant experience working with large corporations, medium-sized firms and owner-operated companies. Client needs served include:
- contractual disputes;
- shareholder disputes, including oppression remedies and derivative actions;
- securities litigation;
- real estate litigation;
- construction litigation, including builders’ liens actions;
- estate litigation;
- employment litigation;
- products liability litigation;
- enforcement of security, including foreclosures and debenture holders’ actions; and
- municipal disputes.
- Representation in mediations and arbitrations.
- Representation in court hearings and in trials, including appellate work.
- Negotiating contract disputes including those involving leases, finance, employment and international issues.
- Work involving libel and slander, including protection from the risks associated with defamation.
- Negotiating with debtors, creditors and collecting debt on behalf of businesses. Includes Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act matters, and issues relating to insolvency and foreclosures.
- Injunctions, which are sometimes necessary to prohibit proceedings such as purchase and sale of businesses.
- Representation in shareholder disputes, including oppression remedies, disputes over distributions and share structure, and family and inheritance issues.
- Representation for directors and officers of companies whose assets are at risk or who are held responsible for major loss.
- Obtaining civil search warrants on behalf of clients involved in litigation, including obtaining electronic evidence.
- Defending BC businesses against foreign judgments.
- Helping BC businesses find trusted lawyers in other jurisdictions worldwide through our membership in TAGLaw international.
16 Harper Grey lawyers recognized for litigation expertise by Benchmark Canada®, 2017
Harper Grey receives highest firm ranking as a “Highly Recommended” local litigation law firm in British Columbia from Benchmark Canada® 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
John Sullivan recognized as a "Leader in His Field" in the area of Dispute Resolution (British Columbia) by Chambers Canada®, 2016, 2017
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 15 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2017
18 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as "Leading Practitioners" by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2017
Harper Grey recognized as a "Leading Law Firm" regionally in the area of Dispute Resolution by Chambers Canada®, 2017
Martindale Hubell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
News & Knowledge