Steven’s practice entails helping clients with insurance defence work involving property disputes, construction deficiencies, bodily injury claims, fires, aviation claims, general insurance disputes and professional negligence claims. Steve also advances subrogated claims on behalf of insurers on fire, property and product liability claims. Steve provides advice on coverage issues between insurers and insureds.
Steven grew up in Richmond, B.C., and now lives in Vancouver with his wife, two sons and a puppy. When not in the office, Steve enjoys skiing, playing ball and doing other fun things with his family.
Rated as a "Repeatedly Recommended Leading Practitioner" in the area of Litigation - Commercial Insurance by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2018-2020
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Insurance Law by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2019-2020
Recognized as a “Future Star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada®, 2019-2020
- Successfully defended a chimney sweep in an 8 day BC Supreme Court trial against allegations that the chimney sweep negligently performed a sweep resulting in a house fire.
- Defending contractors against negligence and breach of contract claims arising out of construction services.
- Defending home owners, business owners and commercial property owners on bodily injury claims.
- Defending independent adjusters in errors and omissions claims arising from the adjusting of insured losses.
- Defending mortgage brokers in errors and omission claims arising out of disputes following mortgage losses.
- Defending warranty claims made pursuant to the Homeowners Protection Act.
- Defending insurers against claims by mortgagees for payment pursuant to the Standard Mortgage Clause.
Insurance Coverage Work
- Providing coverage advice to insurers with respect to issues of misrepresentation, material change, intentional and criminal acts, arson, bad faith, failure to cooperate and policy interpretation.
- Successfully defended the Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company in a BC Supreme Court trial where the insureds sought coverage on a homeowner policy after the insurer voided its policy following the discovery of an unreported medical marijuana grow operation in an outbuilding on a residential property.
- Defending insurers in coverage actions brought by insureds following the denial of coverage.
- Providing opinions to insurers on the viability of potential subrogation claims.
- Advancing subrogated claims for insurers following fires, water losses, settlement claims and other covered claims.
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 2003
- University of British Columbia, B.A., 2000
- British Columbia, 2004
- Co-Chair, Harper Grey Articling Students Committee
- Volunteer, Access Pro Bono Courthouse Clinic
- Director, Camp Hatikvah Foundation
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections:
- Construction Law