Steven’s practice entails helping clients with insurance defence work involving property disputes, construction deficiencies, bodily injury claims, fires, aviation claims, general insurance disputes and professional negligence claims. Steve also advances subrogated claims on behalf of insurers on fire, property and product liability claims. Steve provides advice on coverage issues between insurers and insureds.
Before joining Harper Grey, Steve practiced insurance law with another downtown Vancouver firm. He grew up in Richmond, B.C., and now lives in Vancouver with his wife and two sons.
- Successfully defended a chimney sweep in an 8 day BC Supreme Court trial against allegations that the chimney sweep negligently performed a sweep resulting in a house fire.
- Defending contractors against negligence and breach of contract claims arising out of construction services.
- Defending home owners, business owners and commercial property owners on bodily injury claims.
- Defending independent adjusters in errors and omissions claims arising from the adjusting of insured losses.
- Defending mortgage brokers in errors and omission claims arising out of disputes following mortgage losses.
- Defending warranty claims made pursuant to the Homeowners Protection Act.
- Defending insurers against claims by mortgagees for payment pursuant to the Standard Mortgage Clause.
Insurance Coverage Work
- Providing coverage advice to insurers with respect to issues of misrepresentation, material change, intentional and criminal acts, arson, bad faith, failure to cooperate and policy interpretation.
- Defending insurers in coverage actions brought by insureds following the denial of coverage.
- Providing opinions to insurers on the viability of potential subrogation claims.
- Advancing subrogated claims for insurers following fires, water losses, settlement claims and other covered claims.
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 2003
- University of British Columbia, B.A., 2000
- British Columbia, 2004
- Volunteer, Access Pro Bono Courthouse Clinic
- Director, Camp Hatikvah Foundation
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Member, Mortgage Brokers Association of BC (MBABC)
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch Subsections:
- Construction Law