Whether new businesses are being formed, existing businesses are growing or it's time to restructure or sell, Harper Grey's business lawyers have the expertise to make the process smooth and straightforward, and provide strategic advice that protects business owners' interests and adds to their success.
Harper Grey helps business and organizations with legal services relating to set-up, acquisitions, sales, financing, leasing, employment issues, corporate records and other contractual affairs.
We advise individuals and international, national and regional corporations and other business entities in a broad range of business and investment areas.
Our transactional experience includes:
- business acquisitions;
- corporate reorganizations;
- mergers and acquisitions;
- secured transactions;
- commercial and residential conveyancing;
- real estate development; and
Our lawyers bring a wealth of experience and knowledge and are passionate about providing counsel, guidance and creative and practical solutions to start-ups, emerging and mature companies to help them achieve their objectives.
Several of our lawyers are also experienced in the area of wills and estates, serving clients and beneficiaries who may or may not reside in British Columbia.
- Corporate and commercial transactions.
- Contract negotiation and set-up.
- Purchase and sale of businesses.
- Incorporation and re-organization.
- Personal property transactions.
- Corporate financing transactions.
- Commercial real estate transactions.
- Lease agreements.
- Succession planning for family-owned businesses.
Harper Grey receives the TAGLaw Membership Award of Distinction acknowledging 15 years of outstanding service
24 Harper Grey lawyers recognized across 15 specialty areas by Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2017
18 Harper Grey lawyers recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, 2017
Martindale Hubbell® recognizes 13 Harper Grey lawyers across 27 practice areas
Harper Grey recognized as a Top 10 Regional Firm in British Columbia, Alberta and the Territories by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, 2012 and 2014
- A foreign manufacturer offers to purchase a similar operation locally. Agreements need to be drafted, employment arrangements need to be made and real estate holdings transferred.
- A group of five dentists want to form a partnership and establish a new clinic. Leases must be negotiated for office space and equipment, and partnership agreements must be drafted and agreed to.
- A family business needs to change its structure after the married owners are divorced.
- Represented a Canadian pension fund on the sale of a major British Columbia shopping centre ($50 million).
Merger, Sale and Acquisition of Businesses
- Assisted with the purchase and disposition of a BC company for its software licensing capability throughout North America.
- Acted for a multinational engineering and environmental consulting company in the acquisition of a Canadian company with operations in six Canadian jurisdictions.
- Counseled a client in the purchase of a BC software company by a US company.
- Advised clients on the purchase and sale of interests of minority shareholders in closely-held corporations.
- Assisting with the purchase and sale of dental, medical and other health care practices.
- Represented a private company in purchasing a public road construction and maintenance business from the BC Provincial Government.
Corporate and Commercial Transactions
- Represented a purchaser on the real property and business acquisition of two regulated retirement projects involving 300 employees and dealt with regulatory approvals and structuring of the new operation.